Friday, January 16, 2009

Watch out! He knows Kung Fu!

I feel that I must share this hilarious moment. Today in my Martial Arts Cinema class, our teacher split us into groups in order to discuss aspects of a scene (from Once Upon a Time In China 3) and the group that I was in had to discuss sound in the film (it was the subject that was assigned to us by the professor, each group had to talk about a different subject, i.e. cinematography, editing, sound, etc.). So when it was our turn to present, the professor called us up. I started talking about music in the film and I began to mention how the mention became dark and ominous when the main villain, who was wearing a yellow robe, appeared on his horse, so being as forgetful as I am, I did not remember his name so I referred to his as "the yellow guy", only to realize to my chagrin that, this being a Kung Fu film from Hong Kong and thus all the actors being Asian, I inadvertently let out an unintentionally racist comment which was not meant to be racist at all. However, the entire class laughed hysterically, and I could not stop laughing at this error that I made. The look on the teacher's face was priceless once I realized what it was that I said. Ah, either way, the group which talked about their subject the best (especially in relation to the body, since Kung Fu is highly focused on the body) would be exempt from the next quiz, and my group won this "contest", perhaps because of my comment. Oh, good times.

And I guess it's true, "Everyone's a little bit racist."

No comments:

Post a Comment